El Cerrito High School Library
Building A – A205
The mission of the WCCUSD School Library Media Program is to assist its school community in becoming information literate, to enhance learning by offering an infrastructure that allows students and staff to have access to appropriate learning resources and become effective users of information. This mission is accomplished:
- by providing physical and intellectual access to materials in a variety of formats;
- by providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas;
- by collaborating with other educators, students and members of the community to design learning strategies to meet the needs of individual students.
- To provide a facility that functions as the information center of the school, for integrated, interdisciplinary, and school-wide learning.
- To provide resources and learning activities, in collaboration with the teaching staff, that represent a diversity of experiences, opinions, social and cultural perspectives, supporting the concept that intellectual freedom and access to information are prerequisite to effective and responsible citizenship in a democracy.
- To provide a meaningful Library Media Program, it is the joint responsibility of District administrators, Library Media Teachers, classroom teachers, parents, and the community.
Head Librarian: Laney Johnson
Information and Literacy Assistant: Judy Langarica
Parent Volunteer: Donna Ramsey
Students may visit the library before and after school and during the lunch period (visiting hours, thusly, are 8 A.M. to 4 P.M.). During their class time, students are only admitted to the library with a Blue Slip, a Green Sticker (which indicates that the student either has no first or no fourth block) on their ID, or when accompanied by a teacher.
A quiet study atmosphere is required in the library; absolutely no foods, drinks, or electronic devices (i.e. cell phones, iPods, DSs, PSPs, etc.) are allowed. Students who break library rules will be excluded from the library.
Materials Usage Procedures
Place books removed from shelves on the book trucks before the end of the period. Student Identification Cards (ID) serve as a library card and are required to check out library materials and to use the computers. Library books (except those on reserve) are checked out from the Circulation Desk and are issued for two weeks. Ask the librarian or aide to use special reference books. To return books, place them in the book drop located beneath the printer at the Circulation Desk.
Students wishing to use computers in the Library are required to have a current ID Card and a signed “ Technology Use Agreement.”
Finding Books In ECHS Library
(using the web catalogue).
There are five designated computers used to find books and materials in our library. They are located in front of each book shelf. After successfully using your student login, please click on Destiny ECHS (found on the desktop). You may find a book by clicking on the title, author, or subject. The books are arranged by subjects and are shelved from left to right around the room according to the Dewey Decimal System. The general plan of the system is as follows:
000-099 General works
100-199 Philosophy & Psychology
200-299 Religion and Mythology
300-399 Social Science, Economics, Law, Welfare, Education
500-599 Pure Science, Mathematics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology
600-699 Technology, Medicine, Home Economics, Business, Manufacturing
700-799 Fine Arts, Drawing, Music, Painting, Photography, Recreation & Sports
800-899 Literature, English and other Literature
900-999 History, Geography, and Travel
920 Collective Biography arranged by author
921 Single Biography arranged by famous person’s last name
Fiction books are arranged according to the author’s last name and are located around the wall.
Books for English Learners
EL Books have green tags and are located on the last shelf.
Short Stories have red tags and are also located on the last shelf.
DVDs, VHSs, & Audio Book Tapes
DVDs, VHSs, & Audio Book Tapes are located behind the Circulation Desk and may only be checked out by teachers.
For more help, go to http://ccclib.org
For help on a congressional level, go to http://www.loc.gov/index.html
Other sites of interest: